Two attached houses at 321-5 Wakefield Adelaide
Why is it Significant?
These deteriorating 1882 two storey attached
bluestone houses are rare remnants of boom-style speculative building in the south-east corner of the city. Designed by German immigrant
architect Gustav Joachimi they have slipped through a loophole and although now Local heritage listed, they are subject to a prior application.
Joachimi was a Victorian Government architect, working on designs for Pentridge, Melbourne and Beechworth gaols as well as Victoria Barracks and
Ararat Courthouse. Joachimi had established an architectural practice in Adelaide by 1876 and ornate Ochiltree House (corner East & South
Terrace) is attributed to him. 321-325 Wakefield Street were built for J.F.D Langhans and remained in continuous ownership of Langhans family
descendants until 1966. One descendant, architect Albert Langhans, designed (amongst other things) the original Carl Linger Memorial in West
Terrace Cemetery, alterations to The Cedars for Sir Hans Heysen, and Quelltaler House in Gilbert Place for Buring &
Why is it at Risk?
Subject to a current development application which means demolition will
What needs to be done?
The Current development application must be rejected, and the demolition